“The WiseBox receiver is rated IP54. This allows them to be fitted inside your home or outside in your garden.” https://www.mpl.ch/info/IPratings.html
Mains Voltage (240v) Lights
- Single Par 38 Spike Light
- Deluce Spike Garden Light240V PAR3880W MaxRef GN131IP44
also Ball Lights http://www.exteriorlightsuk.co.uk/product/rotoball-floor-40-e27-24w-max-outdoor-floor-lamp-400mm-diameter-globe
Advantages of using mains lights:
- no need for transformers
- good for lighting large trees
- well understood by electricians
- must be armoured cabling (Only the last 2 metres to the light can be a flexible cable)
- lamp blowing can trip out a circuit breaker
- separate RCD protection for each circuit and a maximum of 12 fittings per RCD
- high power metal halide uplights are suitable for lighting large trees
Low Voltage (12v) Lights
Advantage of using low voltage lights:
- 12V (low voltage)
- lamp blowing rarely trips circuit breaker as the current surge is absorbed by the transformer
- Safety – 12 volts is inherently safe for children and pets
- bigger range of good quality, smaller fittings to choose from
- better range of lamps to choose from
- more efficient
- need transformers + low voltage wires
- includes miniature adjustable 12v spotlights for small feature plants
- through to compact twin pole spotlights for lighting shrubs and hedges.
- very safe to use, easy for anybody to install and highly energy efficient
- LED (light-emitting diode) bulbs last far longer than halogen
Note: 240 volt GU10 lamps are not as bright as the 12 volt MR16 lamps but they have a warmer quality which might suit some situations better than the crisp look of low voltage lighting. Conversely you might need the low voltage crispness to bring out the best in foliage.
Popular Low Voltage Brands
- Techmar https://www.lighting-direct.co.uk/brands/techmar.html?lyco_type=1395 & https://www.garden-lights.com & https://www.lighting-direct.co.uk/brands/techmar.html
- Luxform System (easy connect system)
- Elipta https://www.lightingforgardens.com/compact-spike-spotlight-rustic-brown-12v-mr16
- Lumena https://www.lumenalights.com/shop/
- Eden https://www.lighting-direct.co.uk/edit-bush-garden-spotlight-black-set-of-4.html
- Marklojd https://www.lighting-direct.co.uk/brands/markslojd/markslojd-easyfit-lighting.html
Light Pro https://www.lightprotrade.co.uk/content/6-lightpro-12v-outdoor-lighting-system – expensive
Garden Lights (TechMar brand) https://www.garden-lights.com/en/
LightPro (TechMar brand) https://www.lightpro.nl/en/
https://www.garden-lights.com/en/our-products/spotlights/alder-set/ – Alder, Catalpa, https://www.chessingtongardencentre.co.uk/
“The only range we found that ticked all our boxes was the plug and play 12V low voltage outdoor lighting Techmar system from the Netherlands. After spending time with them at shows in Europe as well as at their headquarters, we quickly decided this was the range we wanted to offer. ” https://www.gardenlightshop.com
12V cables, transformers and junction boxes https://www.lumenalights.com/shop/product-category/12v-low-voltage/12v-transformers-12v-cable-and-junction-boxes/
Duracell Solar LED Stake Spotlight https://www.johnlewis.com/duracell-solar-led-outdoor-stake-spotlight-black/p3300079
The WiseBox Kit has a receiver that has four 5 amp circuits with a maximum amperage of 20 amps. The WiseBox kit can achieve up to a 200 metre range with a clear line of sight. These circuits can be changed from switching to an open circuit. Each circuit on the WiseBox is fused individually with a 5 amp fuse to protect all the circuits.Wise Box http://www.wisecontrols.com
The Wisebox unit will control your lights, water features, electric shutters and gates etc. Once programmed, place the indoor wireless switch in a suitable location and the installation is complete. Enjoy switching your circuits from anywhere in your garden or home with the remote control. The WiseBox Kit has a receiver that has four 5 amp circuits with a maximum amperage of 20 amps. The WiseBox kit can achieve up to a 200 metre range with a clear line of sight. These circuits can be changed from switching to an open circuit. Each circuit on the WiseBox is fused individually with a 5 amp fuse to protect all the circuits.
Circuit configuration options:
- Option A – Push-to-makeThe circuit will work as push-to-make from a single button.A push button is a momentary or non-latching switch which causes a temporary change in the … A push to make switch allows electricity to flow between its two contacts when held in. When the button is released, the circuit is broken.
- Option B – Single Button Switching ON/OFFThe circuit can be turned ON/OFF from a single button.
- Option C – Two Button Switching ON/OFFThe circuit can be turned ON/OFF from two buttons, for independent ON and OFF.
- Time DelayThe circuit can have a timer on it. Use a single button to turn the lights on. The timer will turn the circuit off after the set time has passed. Use a two button switch for control. To turn on, press button 1 and either wait for the dela time or press button 2 to turn off.
- Key Fobs http://www.wisecontrols.com/wireless-keyfobs-range
- 4 channels & PIR timer dials
- Instructions https://www.mr-resistor.co.uk/uploads/wiseboxv2instructions.pdf
- Instructions https://www.mr-resistor.co.uk/uploads/Wiseboxinstruct.pdf
- A passive infrared sensor (PIR sensor) is an electronic sensor that measures infrared (IR) light radiating from objects in its field of view.
- most often used in PIR-based motion detectors.
- also PIR switch for garden security?
photocell e.g. turn on at dusk for X
- photocell e.g. turn on at dusk for X hours https://www.thelightingsuperstore.co.uk/products/dusw-dusk-switch or https://www.lumenalights.com/shop/product-category/12v-low-voltage/12v-sensors-photocell-dusk-to-dawn-pir-motion-sensor/
All joints must be made 100% water tight and this can be done using IP68 inline connectors, waterproof junction boxes which are then filled with a resin or gel mix. All joints where possible should be made above ground for easy access and reduced water ingress.